Monday, May 9, 2011

Money Down the Drain... literally.

Over the weekend my boyfriend and I decided that we would try out one of the area laudromats instead of using the laundry center at our apartment complex, since he was sure the wash and dry cycles were faster at the "nicer" laundromat, and we were pretty busy that day and trying to save time. However, when we walked in and saw the prices - I refused to pay and we strode right back out.

I still can not believe that the price to wash ONE load of clothes ranges between $3.75 and $5.00 depending on which type of washer you use. And it's the same amount to dry. At our apartment laundry center it costs $1.00 per load to wash/dry. The washers are tiny, but I can live with having to do three loads for $6.00. I can't pay roughly $16.00 every week, and I honestly don't see how anyone could afford that. I'd rather buy an old metal washboard and scrub my clothes in the bathtub. I can be 1850.

Luckily, my mom is nice enough to let us do our laundry free of charge when we come visit, so I ended up taking it all out there while visiting her for mother's day. She's just awesome like that. But there is a caveat with going to her house - she lives a good 25 - 30 minutes away, so sometimes it's cheaper to just pay the $6.00 than to put enough gas in the vehicle to make it out there and back. I swear that now-a-days gas is the root of all the evil in the world... well, make that oil in general. But I won't go into that right now.

Another thing that has risen in cost to ridiculous levels: the movies. This summer, we have a movie just about every weekend that we want to go see. (This past weekend we saw the movie "Thor" - really good; I recommend.) I wouldn't have agreed to such frugal spending had we not found a super great deal. I'm not sure if this applies to all Carmike theaters, but I know for sure that the Carmike theater in the Governor's Square Mall in Clarksville, TN has a deal on tickets between the hours of 4:00pm and 5:30pm (I think - please check with the theater, or for an update on this post, for more accurate hours) for only $5.00! Of course, you do have to pay the extra fee if you want to see your movie choice in 3D. But for the two of us to enjoy a movie at an actual theater, $10 is a steal these days. If you want a drink or popcorn or candy, you're out of luck there unless you go on Tuesday afternoon, where you can have a small drink for $1, a small popcorn for $1, and a candy for $2.50.

I feel like I've rambled in this post, which I will try my best to stay on subject and not ramble to much in any of them... but, my mom has nicknamed me "Babylon" because at time I tend to "babble on and on". Apologies in advance if I ever do so. It's a work in progress to get better with that. So... on to my questions for you today:

What is the most that you have ever spent to wash your clothes (this includes if you have ever sent something to the dry cleaners)? And... what would the ticket price of a movie have to be for you to completely say no to all theater outings?

No comments:

Post a Comment