Saturday, May 7, 2011

For Baby Namesakes

I was reading about the most popular baby names of 2010 and it never ceases to amaze me that tons of people name their kids after something or someone famous. Personally, I don't understand sticking your children with a name like Isabella or Jacob just because you're a fan of the Twilight series. By the time the kid hits middle school and knows 20 other Isabella's in her class, she's going to wonder why you gave her that name. You'll tell her the truth, I'd hope, and then she will have to find out from her friends that her parents had no originality in naming her because the rest of the Isabella's were named after a character in the Twilight series as well. And by the time our babies of 2010 and 2011 are in middle school, they're going to think we are insane for having this weird obsession with sparkly vampires and werewolves.

Just in case you were wondering what the top 10 names of each sex were for 2010, here they are, in order:
GIRLS                        BOYS
Isabella                      Jacob
Sophia                       Ethan
Emma                       Michael
Olivia                         Jayden
Ava                            William
Emily                         Alexander
Abigail                        Noah
Madison                     Daniel
Chloe                         Aiden
Mia                             Anthony

I do find it interesting that our beloved vampire Edward isn't on the list. Maybe Edward is number 11 or 12. I didn't research that far into it.

One name's placement on this list makes me sad. The third most popular name for girls, Emma, is a name that I have wanted to give my first daughter since I first humored the idea of becoming a mother. I'm struggling with the fact that if I have a daughter within the next few years that there will be tons of other Emma's out there. I've never been too concerned about having a super original name like those I've come across at work (i.e. "Rain Forest", "Talledega Champion", or "Rose Busch"), but I've never been too concerned about plain names either like John or Jane. I wanted something in-between, and Emma seemed like the perfect fit, especially since it's also my grandmother's middle name. I'm just hoping, that by the time I start having children, that the name Emma will fall a few points in popularity. So to all of you mothers-to-be... please, I'm begging you, let me have that name (unless it's a family namesake for you as well, then more power to you).

Here's my question to you for the day: Is your name or the name of your child(ren) on the top ten for 2010 list?

No comments:

Post a Comment